10 Upcoming Cello Concerts this Summer You Won't Want to Miss
It's never too early to start making plans for a musical summer. We've put together a list of 10 upcoming cello performances scheduled for this summer. No matter where in the United States you are, there's a fantastic concert at least as close as an awesome road trip.
If you're not in the States, no worries – we've let you know where else in the world many of these cellists will be this summer and included links to their schedules.
1. Does May count as summer time? We're counting it as summertime so you can make sure to check out Apocalyptica – the metal, cello quartet. They start out in Mesa, Arizona on May 6, 2019, and cross the entire continent during May. The last concert, May 31, 2019, is in Connecticut.
2. We're definitely including May as a summer month because that's when Steven Isserlis will be touring the United States. He actually starts his U.S. concert tour on April 28, 2019, with Joshua Bell and Jeremy Dank at Charleston Gaillard Center. In fact, the three are touring together to several venues on east and west coasts, with one-stop inland in Las Vegas on May 6, 2019.
3. Chicagoans luck out because Yo-Yo Ma will be at Millennium Park on June 20, 2019, as part of his Bach Project. If you want to see him perform anywhere else this summer, plan a trip to South America or Europe.
4. Daniel Müller-Schott is heading to the States in late June, performing at the Bravo! Vail music festival on June 29, 2019. After that, he's spending his early July in Seattle.
5. For an evening of music and discussion, you can attend the Summer Solstice concert with Tchaikovsky prize-winner Yosif Feigelson, the afternoon of June 22, 2019, at the Museum of Russian Icons in Clinton, Massachusetts. The program includes Bach, Prokofiev, and Gaspar Cassado, among others.
6. The Shanghai Symphony Orchestra is performing in Vienna, Virginia on August 14, 2019, in a concert featuring cellist Alisa Weilerstein. A 2011 winner of a MacArthur Fellowship (aka the "genius grant"), she's spending late June through early July in Europe, but will be in numerous venues from east to west in the United States the rest of the summer.
7. Jerome Wright will be accompanied by pianist Glenn Sales as they perform Beethoven's Complete Sonatas for Cello and Piano on July 19, 2019, at Carnegie Hall. Of course, this is just one event featuring the cello at Carnegie Hall this summer.
8. Kevin Olusola combines voice and cello. He's a member of the Grammy-winning voice quintet Pentatonix. When not performing with them, he's a beat-boxing, cellist whom you can see in concert at Madison Square Garden on June 6, 2019. After that, he's hitting the middle of the country and even dipping up to Canada in late June. "KO" completes his loop around the country with an August 31, 2019 performance in the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts, in Bethel, New York.
9. If you are in Alaska this summer, you can see Zuill Bailey perform at the Sitka Summer Music Festival on June 1, 2019.
10. Finally, Gautier Capuçon makes his first U.S. appearance this summer on July 17, 2019, at Tanglewood. The program includes works by Sibelius, Schumann, Brahms, and Shostakovich.
Which cellist would you most like to see this summer? Or which work for cello would you most like to see performed? Let us know in the comments below. If we forgot to mention any great cello concerts coming up this summer, share those in the comments section too – just make sure you buy your tickets before you do!
Top photo of Kevin Olusola courtesy of kevinolusola.com